TODAY

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Live Performances...

Well, you never know what will happen with live performances...

We had our show this last weekend, and for the most part things went very smoothly. The pieces I was in were pretty polar opposites. One carried heavier overtones about death/the passing and the beauty that is there like the beauty of the wind, and the other was about the crazy wierd things people do while talking on their cell phones.

But no matter how much you plan, practice, or anticipate, some variables seem to remain uncounted for... Like the wasps in the theatre? We'd seen them around, but as I was getting ready to exit during one of the numbers I see a small fiercesome being walking around the stage space where a whole bunch of barefoot people are about to come barrelling out to the William Tell Overture. So, like any logical thinker, I decided we'd better get the wasp out of the way so no one gets hurt. I didn't want to kick it, so staying in character I bent down and picked it up by the wings and finished my little section and carried it off stage. About that point the realistic side of my brain kicks in and screams, "YOU JUST PICKED UP A LIVE WASP!" And I begin thinking, "My mother is REALLY allergic to wasps. Am I allergic to wasps? She swells up for days..." It's amazing what goes through your head in a few seconds. One of the backstage girls in shoes kindly took care of him for me. A big shout out to these behind the scenes people as well- shows take a ton of work (Katey vouches for this one) and the work is much appreciated.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:20 PM , Blogger Clint said...

    Jackie Beth I wish I had been there to see The Flight Of The Wasp. I thought of you during Sing Song. Family and friends click on my name and witness that Jakie Beth can write as well as she can dance. Love you girl.

     
  • At 6:25 AM , Blogger Katey said...

    Jackie Beth! I missed you so much this weekend! Your ability to make me laugh, calm me down, and remind me of the purpose was greatly needed. It just wasn't the same to not see you up on stage- or backstage. Believe me that we all were thinking about you and wishing we could be there to support you at your show. Glad there were no broken bones to report on- though the wasp story was hilarious, only you. Love your guts too!

     
  • At 8:39 AM , Blogger Sarah P said...

    A WASP?!!!!! What are you crazy?! You totally should have left it there. How hilarious would it have been to watch that happen. Ok, you're a better person than I.
    Miss you

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home